UPDATE at 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday
East Haven Fire offiicals confirmed for East Haven Patch earlier today that a wood stove at the home is thought to be the cause of Tuesday evening's fire at 19 Catherine Street.
The incident remains under investigation.
Quick and aggressive action by East Haven firefighters successfully controlled and knocked down a garage fire on Catherine Street late Tuesday afternoon before the blaze had an opportunity to move over — and engulf the entire home.
Members of the East Haven Fire Department first responded to a report of a fire at 19 Catherine Street at 4:15 p.m. Upon arrival, firefighters found the home's attached garage on fire, with smoke showing from the structure.
Fire, Smoke Damage
The fire then began to bleed over into the attic portion of the house. Firefighters, however, moved in quickly to control the blaze before it had the opportunity to completely spread over and overtake the main portion of the home.
Still, it was apparent from the street that there was signifcant fire and smoke damage to the house.
Assistant Fire Chief Chuck Licata told East Haven Patch at the scene that while the owner was home at the time of the blaze, he was uninjured during the incident.
The North Branford Fire Department provided mutual aid during the incident, covering East Haven fire stations while the East Haven companies were at the scene.
Although the Branford Fire Department was also initially requested via mutual aid to cover the EHFD's headquarters on Main Street, the call was cancelled after off-duty East Haven Firefighters reported to man the company's Engine 7.
Cause and Origin
East Haven Fire Chief Douglas Jackson said it was uncertain at this time exactly where the fire began and what caused it to start.
East Haven Patch will provide additional updates as more information becomes available.