VIDEO: East Haven Fire Knocks Down Second House Blaze in 24 Hours

East Haven Firefighters rescued two pets from a Jane Court home, reviving a cat at the scene — but efforts to save the family dog, Daisy, who suffered severe smoke inhalation, were not successful.

Update at 4 p.m.

One of the two pets rescued from Wednesday's house fire on Jane Court has died.

Daisy, the family dog, was unable to be revived by firefighters at the scene as well as animal hosptial staff after suffering significant smoke inhalation during the fire, Assistant Animal Control Officer Anthony Purificato told East Haven Patch.

"They tried at the hospital — they had six people working on it — but it was very contested (with smoke)," Purificato said of the New Haven Central Hospital for Veterinary Medicine staff efforts to save the animal.

Fortunately the family's cat, which was successfully revived via CPR at the scene by East Haven firefighters, appears to have turned the corner for the better.

"He looks like he'll be fine," Purificato said.

Update at 1:50 p.m.

New Haven Central Hospital for Veterinary Medicine officials declined to comment on the curent status of both family pets, which were taken to the facility follwing their rescue from today's house fire on Jane Court.

A hospital staff member instead referred East Haven Patch to the East Haven Animal Shelter.

A voice mail left with the shelter a short time ago was not immediately returned.

East Haven Patch will provde an update on the health and welfare of both animals as soon as more information becomes available.

Original Post

East Haven Firefighters were called to battle the second house fire in less than 24 hours, after a home along Jane Court caught fire late this morning.

The report of a structure fire at 6 Jane Court first came in to the East Haven Fire Department dispatch about 11:15 a.m.

Upon arrival, East Haven Fire Chief Douglas Jackson said firefighters found heavy smoke and flame, particularly on the right side of the home.

Jackson said department members were able to knock the fire down and bring it under control in about 15 minutes.

Although no people were home at the time of the blaze, two pets were trapped inside. Firefighters were able to pull both animals from the home, and attempt to revive them.

Firefighters were able to revive the cat, according to Assistant Fire Chief Chuck Licata. But efforts to revive the pet dog at the scene were not as successful. Both were then taken to the New Haven Central Hospital for Veterinary Medicine.

The home itself sustained serious smoke, fire and water damage.

Fire officials say it appears that a wood burning stove located on the right side of the home's basement may have been the source of today's fire — just as a wood burning stove is thought to be the source of Tuesday's blaze along Catherine Street.

Both house fires are still under investigation.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »