William Antonopoulos, 34, lost his life in a fire at his home at 6 Pineview Drive in North Branford on Jan. 11. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined, though the state medical examiner determined Antonopoulos died of smoke inhalation.
East Haven firefighters reported to the scene and assisted North Branford in battling the blaze, in response to a call for mutual aid.
According to North Branford Fire Marshal Burt Bunnell, two other people were in the house at the time of the blaze. Both were released from Yale-New Haven Hospital on Jan. 12, and are now staying with other relatives.
Bunnell said there were three smoke detectors found in the home, including one near the kitchen, one in the front bedroom area and one in the back bedroom area; though it could not be determined if they were working properly.
“Fire Personnel first on the scene did not hear them,” said Bunnell. “Occupants woke up to smoke and fire conditions and did not tell if they heard the smoke detectors activated.”
Deputy Fire Marshal John O’Brien reminds residents that the North Branford Fire Department has smoke alarms and 9-volt batteries available to the public. Call the Fire Marshal’s office at 203-484-6016 to obtain one.