Press Release from Department of New Haven Police Services
New Haven Police and the Injury Free Coalition for Kids of New Haven and Yale-New Haven Children’s Hospital will be conducting a GUN BUY-BACK.
WHEN: Saturday, December 22, 2012 from 10:00 AM till 4:00 PM
WHERE: The New Haven Police Academy, 710 Sherman Parkway
The New Haven Police Department will be holding a special gun buyback event which is sponsored by the Injury Free Coalition for Kids of New Haven and Yale-New Haven Children’s Hospital’s Injury Prevention Program. The gun buyback program is part of a larger movement for gun safety & injury prevention. The goal is to get guns off the street, out of cars, out of basements and out of bedrooms. The New Haven Police Department and the Injury Free Coalition for Kids of New Haven of Yale-New Haven Children’s Hospital are committed in playing an active role in this goal. This special event will be held on December 22, 2012 at the New Haven Police Academy, 710 Sherman Parkway from 10:00am to 4:00pm. The event is open to all CT residents.
Our policy of “no questions asked” will be in effect allowing individuals to anonymously dispose of firearms without fear of charges for illegal possession when turning in the weapon. Non-operational guns, antiques, BB guns and holsters will be accepted but do not qualify for a gift card.
Gun dealers and/or people that the police have reason to believe are gun dealers are excluded from this program and can not exchange guns for a gift card. An additional gift card will be exchanged for those firearms identified as assault weapons and/or sawed-off shotguns as an enhanced incentive. Free distribution of gun locks will also be offered at the drop off location.
Amnesty: Amnesty for possession of a firearm without a permit is granted for those citizens turning in a firearm and/or ammunition at the time they walk into the gun buyback facilities and extends only for that period of time. Amnesty is not granted for the time period prior to walking into the gun buyback location or after one leaves the location. If a citizen decides not to turn in their firearm after entering the exchange location because the weapon does not qualify for a gift card, the firearm will be seized by the officers if the citizen does not possess a State permit to carry pistols and revolvers.
In order to receive amnesty for illegal possession at the time you turn in the weapon, protocol MUST be precisely followed. The protocol includes:
- Firearms MUST be delivered unloaded;
- Firearms MUST be put in a clear plastic bag and put into another container (gym bag, backpack, etc);
- If depositing ammunition in addition to a firearm, ammunition must be delivered in separate bag;
- If transporting the firearm by car, the firearm must be transported in the trunk of the car;
- After the firearm is screened by officers and determined to be a working firearm, a $50.00 gift card will be given;
- An additional $50.00 gift card will be exchanged for those firearms identified as assault weapons and/or saw-off shotguns(does not include newly sawed off for the purpose to receive extra gift cards);
- Non-operational guns, antiques firearms, BB guns and holsters will be accepted but do not qualify for a gift card;
We would like to thank our partners in this special event. Yale-New Haven Children’s Hospital Injury Prevention Program and the Injury Free Coalition for Kids of New Haven.
Gun buyback location: New Haven Police Academy, 710 Sherman Parkway, New Haven, CT 06511