While the United States is the largest manufacturing country in the world (for now), Connecticut’s work force in this industry has shriveled by 45 percent since 1990, according to the Connecticut Labor Department.
This day off is intended for employees of all industries, so here's what's closed on Monday:
- All federal and state offices
- All East Haven municipal offices
- All East Haven public schools
- U.S. financial markets
- Banks and credit unions
- All postal offices
- Commuter trains such as Shore Line East and Metro North will run on a holiday/weekend schedule Monday
- The state Department of Motor Vehicles until Tuesday
- Connecticut Lottery Headquarters in Rocky Hill
Here's what's open:
- Retail Stores
- Convenience stores
- Liquor Stores
Call ahead before heading to any of the above establishments to confirm they are open. Many retail stores may be operating on a Sunday schedule or with limited hours.