.

Tropical Storm Isaac: Could It Be Another Irene?

Some weather models project the newly formed tropical storm could be headed the Connecticut shoreline's way for the upcoming Labor Day Weekend.

UPDATE at 7 a.m. on WEDNESDAY

The National Weather Service reported late Tuesday night that Tropical Storm Issac has indeed formed in the Atlantic Ocean.

According to the National Hurricane Center's latest potential track for the storm, which is attached to this article, Issac is projected to track through the Caribbean starting as early as Friday morning — and then move on to effect the Florida coastline late Sunday night to early Monday morning.

With Tropical Storm Issac beginning to become more organized, the NWS has issued watches and warnings for the Dominican Republic.

East Haven Patch will continue to keep an eye on the storm's track — and the possibility it could be headed the Connecticut shoreline's way.

ORIGINAL STORY (Posted Tuesday at 10 a.m.)

Right around this time last year, we were all and how it and throughout the rest of the state.

In preparation, local emergency personnel issued .

but that didn't stop it from , creating and leaving major flooding damage throughout Vermont, upstate New York and other areas of the Northeast.

'Issac' Expected to Form

Now, another I-storm is in the news.

According to the WXEdge.com website, a potentially extreme weather pattern is brewing in the tropics and if it forms into a tropical storm, it will be called Isaac.

"The timing of this storm is right around the same time as Irene was just one year ago," Sam Kantrow said on the WXEdge website. "Some of the models take it to the south, and into the Gulf of Mexico, others take it northward to Florida, and others show it being a direct hit for Connecticut. There's also a chance it will be out to sea."

Steve MacLaughlin also discussed Isaac's potential of turning into something major, on the WXEdge website.

"That big storm has an 80% chance of turning into something tropical and would get the name Isaac," he said.

Labor Day Weekend

MacLaughlin said he can't say whether a repeat performance of last summer's extreme weather will occur.

"What we do know is this... Labor Day Weekend could be interesting for some part of the United States," he said. "If this storm forms and behaves the way many storms do at this time of the year in that part of the world, our coastlines will need to be on-guard... much like last year."

Julie Weisberg (Editor) August 22, 2012 at 02:46 AM
Just a quick note that NOAA has reported tonight that Tropical Storm Issac has indeed formed in the Atlantic Ocean http://ow.ly/d8Aib
Michelle Petroccio August 22, 2012 at 01:09 PM
I am seriously hoping the storm takes a turn out to sea. East Haven is still devistated from last year's storm, and so are many other shoreline towns. Hopefully as the days get closer, people will be wiser with preparations ahead of time instead of flocking to stores for batteries, non-perishables, medical supplies and water at the very last minute. If everyone begins to prepare now, the stores will know what inventories are low and will be able to re-stock before a crisis situation arises.
Bob Fawkes August 22, 2012 at 01:28 PM
I'd like to know what we citizens of East Haven can do to prepare/recover, before, during and after a major storm. I have elderly neighbors, widows mostly, on whom my wife and I check on. Julie, Can you find out from Chief Jackson if the town's CERT team is active? The website (linked from the town's website) is a dead link. http://www.easthavencert.com/
Julie Weisberg (Editor) August 22, 2012 at 02:06 PM
Jacobo: With the one-year anniversary of Irene next week, I'm actually meeting with Fire Chief Jackson on Tuesday afternoon to talk about a number of things, including storm safety and emergency management. So, I can check in on that then. I'm expecting to get a couple of stories out of next week's interview, so good timing given the possibility of this storm moving up the cost for Labor Day.
Bob Fawkes August 22, 2012 at 02:30 PM
Thanks Julie. In the meantime, the FEMA website http://www.ready.gov/ has some good info on what folks can do to prepare, checklists, etc..
Julie Weisberg (Editor) August 22, 2012 at 02:55 PM
Jacobo: Thanks for sharing the link! In addition, I've attached the state's Emergency Preparedness Guide, which I grabbed from the EHFD's homepage http://easthavenfire.com/.
FCF August 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Links to local, state and federal emergency preparedness information in English and Spanish are posted on http://www.townofeasthavenct.org/.
Richard Poulton August 23, 2012 at 01:09 PM
I would like to see the model of this storm that Kantrow was referring too. The National Weather Service Hurricane Center show no such tracking directly to CT. Talk about crying wolf. I would though be watching Tropical Depression Ten, projected to be just south of Bermuda Sunday AM.
Bob Fawkes August 23, 2012 at 01:44 PM
Friend on mine texted from the Dominican Republic. Says it is raining heavily there right now, winds are picking up. The main part of the Hurricane is expected to hit the DR sometime tomorrow.
Bob Fawkes August 23, 2012 at 01:58 PM
So far, we look OK with regard to Issac. Projections for Issac (To be updated daily): 40% chance of a track through the Gulf of Mexico, west of Florida 25% chance of a landfall in South Florida, and a track mostly over the Florida Peninsula 35% chance of a track along the east coast of Florida Source: http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »